Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket

Monday, June 3, 2013

Gay Pride Weekend

As a born & raised member of the LDS Church I've had a lot of time to think about this topic. Please keep in mind while you read this post that I am not speaking the opinion of The Church or any other party, I am speaking for MYSELF..
 
This weekend I had the opportunity to participate in the Gay Pride Parade, which happens to be the 2nd largest Pride Parade in the Nation, right behind San Francisco. I walked with my school, passed out necklaces & sunscreen and seriously had so much fun. I loved seeing SO MANY people come together for such a large event!
 
I have grown up being taught that marriage is between a man & woman. I have also been taught over and over to love EVERYONE. No matter what. I have been taught that we do not judge others & that we have no idea what someone else is going through. We love & accept everyone. ...To me, it's really unfortunate to see how many of us have lost that concept as we have gotten older. I believe we are all equal- whether you are short or tall, fat or skinny, black or white, gay or straight, we are all human beings that need love & support.
 
I know many people that do not support equal rights. If you do or you don't, that is your right and your opinion. What I don't understand is how someone could look into the eyes of another human being & tell them they don't deserve the same things they have. It doesn't make any sense to me. I also don't get why people are anti. Because quite frankly, what I do in my spare time is my business & what my neighbor does in their spare time is their business. I'm not sure when everyone elses lives became our concern. What I do with my life is between me & my God, & what you do with your life is between you and your God. I also feel sad about the legal part of things. If boy #1 wants to leave his inheritance to boy #2, he should be able to.
 
A friend of mine from Elementary School posted on his blog, "I happen to believe it is a sin to shop on Sunday, because that is the Sabbath Day. But the last thing I will ever seek to do is make shopping on Sunday illegal." ...This statement really stuck with me. What if another religion or group of people came to me saying they didn't think I should be able to partake of the sacrament? Or have a temple marriage? People would be outraged!
...I guess my point is, I have a place to decide for MYSELF what I think is right & wrong. But I do NOT have any say in telling others what, for them, is right or wrong.
 
If I am invited to a gay wedding for a friend, you bet I'll be there. Because I love and support my friends, no matter what. They are humans with family, things they love, things they struggle with, friends, they enjoy the same movies as me, we have the same circle of friends.. and when you think about it that way, we aren't all that different..
 
Needless to say, I support equal human rights.
I have very different views from some of my family & friends. Isn't that such a lovely thing about being human, that we are all entitled to an opinion?
 
On a much lighter note, If you've made it this far into my post you deserve a prize!
Here are some pictures from my weekend!



Getting ready to pass out hundreds of necklaces!
 


 
 Ken, my previous boss!
 
I was completely overwhelmed when I walked by and saw the group "Mormons building bridges" The crowd went NUTS when they walked by. Over 400 Mormons- families, parents, children.. I saw the cutest little girls holding signs with primary songs on them.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I loved their sign LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF.
I could barely get in to take a picture with any of these people because the news reporters were swarming all over them!
 

Anyways,
Love your neighbors. You don't necessarily have to agree with their views, but you should show compassion and love- no matter what.

If you don't agree with my views that is just fine. If you do that's great too. I'm not looking to argue, and if you don't like this post at all, please don't message me freaking out. You are wasting your time and mine. Feel free to leave comments- if they are disrespectful or rude, they will be deleted.
XOXO



6 comments:

  1. <3 Love this post! Everyone needs love and deserves someone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this post and everything about it! I agree with pretty much everything you shared!
    xxoo
    Jordyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so refreshing to hear this. As an inactive/maybe former member whose old ward wasn't the most open-minded, it is nice to be reminded that there are lots of people who love and support each other.

    I've never understood why people are so anti gay marriage. I get anti other things that threaten society like killing and things like that, but gay marriage is not going to take down western civilization.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suze- thanks for your sweet comment, I'm so glad you took the time to read this!

      Delete
  4. Great way to put a simple thing God asks of us. To love one another. Love you kell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! I hate to see that everyone doesn't love and except everyone else. It breaks my heart to see my sister isn't given the same rights as everyone else just because she is a part of the gay community.
    Everyone deserves to have someone love them.!

    love you kel!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Me Some Lovin