Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket        Photobucket

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Today is 9/11

As we all know,
today is the 11th anniversary of the tragic 9/11.
I sat on the school bus early that September morning listening to a friend tell me about a terrorist. I thought she meant tourist and quite honestly I had no idea what she was talking about. Panic struck as a small 7th grader not knowing what all of the confusion and devistation meant as I watched the TVs rolled out into every classroom. Something was wrong.
It amazes me how 11 years has flown by so quickly, and how regardless of how many years go by the stories and news casts still make me cry.
Driving to work this morning there was a moment of silence on the radio at the exact time the first plane hit the tower. A full minute of silence sitting at a stop light in Salt Lake City all misty eyed.
I am thankful for my Country.

Today is also the birthday of my Aunt Diane.
A wonderful woman I never met, but my mom swears Diane hand picked me in heaven to come to my mom. She says I'm stubborn just like her, and get the same forehead dimples when I'm mad. Grandma sometimes calls me Diane rather than Mikell, which always feels strange.
(For my cousins reading this know exactly what I'm talking about.... I'm also called Noelle, Jeni, Marilee & Melissa often too.. but those don't feel quite as strange- It's a grandma thing I guess!)
I've always been interested in stories of Diane, asking mom more than I ask Grandma. On my wedding day, I had three picture charms hooked to my bouquet for the family members I still wanted with me that day. One for Jeni, one for Diane, and one for my Grandpa B.
There were also 3 chairs reserved in our Sealing Room for the same reason.
I am thankful for Heaven.

A year ago today I received my Patriarchial Blessing.
Go back further another year, I would have NEVER thought 365 days down the road I'd be receiving such a dear gift.
Growing up people like myself make lots of mistakes & learn wonderful life lessons that wouldn't ever be traded. The last few years have been the most difficult & Challenging, yet they've been the most rewarding in so many ways.
I am thankful for change.

This past week I've had the feeling multiple times to text a dear family member who's been through more struggles than I can imagine between the loss of a spouse and other previous challenges. Feeling like a text would be more annoying than beneficial, I ignored those feelings to reach out over and over. I ran into a relative of his a few days later and again got the feeling to text him. I sent a text saying hello, and I'm thinking of you, and received a 10 page text about the struggles he was going through.
Last night I got a phone call that was more dear to my heart than ever. I learned I was the answer to a prayer, and a source of trust and strength to this person.
I learned a good lesson last night to never ignore personal promptings.
I am thankful for intiution.

Needless to say, today I am feeling very thankful for so many things. I'm thankful for a happy wonderful life with so many blessings. I'm thankful for family, church, friends and this wonderful Country we live in.

Take some time today to tell your loved ones they are indeed loved.
Take some time today to be thankful.
Take some time today soaking in this wonderful life.

We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Some Lovin